The Ryan Express train stops at Stockton University.
Downbeach.com reports that Galloway Township School is acquiring a massive collection of Nolan Ryan memorabilia, “nearly 15,000 individual items recently valued at over $1 million.”
The report states that the donation comes from Leo S. Ullman, a real estate investor and former owner of the Shore Mall in Egg Harbor Township. The donation is believed to be the largest of its kind in the world. The university is said to be developing a semester for Spring 2023 in conjunction with the Ryan Souvenir Show.
Buying MLB tickets: heelAnd the Lively seatsAnd the Travel TicketsAnd the Ticket manager
Among the things being donated: More than 8,500 baseball cards, about 3,000 of which are hand-signed. But there are also some unusual items in the lot, according to Downbeach.com:
- Autographed cowboy boots.
- A full-size leather saddle that looks like Ryan.
- High school yearbooks.
- Seven hand-drawn baseballs, one for each of Ryan’s players, by American pop artist Charles Fazino signed by Ryan.
- Progressive proofs of a number of Topps cards, various proofs and rookie virgin cards and other important cards.
- Watercolor of Ryan by Dick Perez from Perez Steel Galleries which was used at Ryan’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 1999.
- Various items from his charitable golf and hunting tournaments, his restaurants, his ranch, his bank, and his stock in the 1969 Mets World Series Championship victory, as well as Hall of Fame items, baseballs, tickets for specific victories and strike achievements.
“Stockton is excited to become the new home for Leo’s extensive and unique collection of Nolan Ryan memorabilia,” said Limor Kahanoff, Stockton’s dean and vice president for academic affairs. “We believe the collection will be a great academic resource for courses such as sports history or statistics.”
According to the report, the 83-year-old Ullman now lives in Sands Point, New York, but his “relationship with Stockton goes back several years as he and his wife, Kay, funded the creation of the Schimmel and Hognibaum Righteous Memories Room at the University’s Holocaust Resource Center Sarah and Sam Schofer. The room honors people who sheltered and protected Ullmann and his family in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, during the Holocaust.”
Want to bet on MLB?
Watch the best NJ Sports Betting sites
Ryan was one of the best shooters ever. He owns several MLB records including career hitters (5714) and no-hitters (7).
Ryan made his league debut in 1966 with the New York Mets and helped the club win the World Championship in 1969.
The Mets traded Ryan for the California Angels in 1971. He joined the Houston Astros as a free agent prior to the 1980 season. Ryan finished his Hall of-Fame career with five seasons in the Texas Rangers.
Ryan won 324 games (14 all-time draws), was an eight-time All-Star player and the first member of Cooperstown in 1999.
– The Orioles’ celebration of Camden Yards’ 30th anniversary won’t include the legend of the franchise
– Alex Rodriguez, a former Yankees player, had big plans for the Mets, including the return of several former stars.
– That’s too much for Tyler Wade recruiting Yankees Judge Aaron to the Angels
Thank you for counting on us to provide journalism you can trust. Please consider supporting us by subscribing.
Mike Rosenstein can be reached at [email protected].